I recently had a conversation with one of my friends who lives in another area. She was lamenting that she didn't feel any real connection with anyone around her and was often lonely and bored because of this lack of friendship. This made me think of how very lucky I am to have some of the most amazing women in the world as friends. Truly, I cannot imagine anyone being more blessed with fabulous friends than I have been. Having said that, I regret to admit that I rarely thank these friends or even acknowledge how special they are in my life. Until now..... (in alphebetical order)
Allison Evans: I love hanging out with Allison. She is so hilarious and when I'm around her she makes me feel like I'm equally hilarious (thanks for laughing at my lame jokes Alli). I never laugh harder than when I'm hanging with Alli. She is so talented and fun, yet so down-to-earth. She is also very open and honest which I find a rare and wonderfuly quality.
Amanda Lewis: When you first meet Amanda you immediately see that, though she is a bit shy, she is a very sweet person. If you didn't probe, you would always know her as a quiet, beautiful soul that is filled with kindness. However, upon getting to know her and reading her blog (which I suggest you all do) you will also find out that she is a funny, smart, interesting person with a lot of great things to say. Amanda, I love your blog!
Amber Smith: Amber epitomizes the saying, "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver, the other gold." Amber is the goldest of my gold friends. She has been there for me through everything. She knows me inside and out and loves me anyway. She is so fun, easy-going and understanding that everyone who meets her wants to be around her. Everyone needs a friend like Amber. Amber, you'll always be my BFF! ;)
Amy Allebest: For the longest time I have watched Amy with the utmost admiration. She is the epitome of poise and finesse. However, it has only been upon coming to know Amy better than I have realized just what an amazing person she is. She is so well-rounded and beautiful that, if it weren't for her warm demeanor and subtly wittiness, you may mistake her for a Stepford Wife.
Ana Haymore: Ana is my rock. I seriously don't know what I'd do without her. She is the first person I call when I have exciting news AND when things are difficult. She is so witty and intelligent, yet so empathetic, thoughtful and understanding. The perfect combination! She is always thinking of others and doing thoughtful things. She is beautiful without knowing it, brilliant without flaunting it, and multi-talented without recognizing it. She is a true friend who will stand beside you through thick and thin. I already have so many fabulous memories that involve Ana and am SO looking forward to many more to come.
Angie Ballard: Though I've only known Angie a very short time, I admire her so much. She is exceptionally optimistic in the face of obstacles whose weight would render most of us paralyzed. She is the most fabulous mother I have ever met. She loves her children with such an obviously deep love that you immediately love them too. She is so kind and gentle that if you don't dig deeply, you could miss the fact that she is also immensely talented, deep, and intelligent. She emanates love, beauty, and kindness and every turn.
Ann Ko: Ann is fabulous. She is the best of both worlds. She is among the smartest people I know, yet she carries it off with an unpretentious style that somehow makes it possible to chat with her without feeling the least bit intimidated. She has a heart of gold and is constantly making efforts toward change for the better.
Anne McDonald: The best phrase to describe Anne is "excellent selflessness". Anne renders more help to more people than anyone I know. She is constantly looking for someone to help out, build up, or otherwise serve. But this is not all--Anne renders this service with an excellence that is unsurpassed. Everything she does is impeccable and beautiful. She is also a fabulous listener and wonderful friend. Though she has innumberable friends, she is the first to welcome you into her circle with kindness. She sees the best in people. Around Anne, I am the person I want to be. Without exception, I am always happier for having talked to Anne.
Arianna Martin: I "heart" Arianna. I could not have survived the CIBSR without her. I feel comfortable talking to Arianna about just about anything. I love that conversations with her can flow from something serious one minute to me on the floor rolling with laughter the next minute. She is a thoughtful, understanding friend who treats everyone with kindness that is uniquely and wonderfully her. She and Bria were the best support ever during my pregnancy and made all of the sickness and pain bearable. I will always associate a very happy pregnancy with the two of them.
Ashley Carter: Ashley is the kind of person I want to be one day. She is patient, kind, thoughtful, hilarious, intelligent, and able to roll with life with exceptional grace--there is not an area where she lacks (except maybe in her knowledge of educational toys-ha, ha). She was the first person to offer to throw me a baby shower even though, because of distance and babies, we are rarely able to hang out these days. She is so thoughtful and kind and has a way of making life fun for everyone around her. Ashley is also fabulously accomplished but will be the absolute last person to ever tell you so (I had to find out the details from her mom!). I think at the end of my life I may lament not having hung out with Ashley Carter more (Ashley we HAVE to get on the ball--do you want this on your shoulders?). If there was ever a perfect friend, it would be Ashley.
Bria...or shall we say Dr. Dunkin: What can I say...Bria made my job worth going to every day. She is such a great friend and the ultimate in cube mates. She is so down-to-earth and warm and kind that you almost forget she is also has it going on upstairs (i.e. she's smart). The one thing I miss most about work is laughing until I cried at Bria and Arianna's hilarity every day. Those were great times! Also, I think I'm going to have Vivi call her Auntie Bria as Bria spoils her more than we (her parents) do.
Carrie Hellewell: Though I am just getting to know Carrie, I already love her! She strikes a fabulous balance between being positive while also being realistic and open about life. I love talking to her because you immediately get the sense that you are understood...that she is really listening and caring. You don't have to know Carrie long before you know that she is a kind, deep, thoughtful person who you are excited to get to know better.
Dacia Mumford: Dacia was the best visiting teacher I've ever had. She was always so great to talk to and so open whenever I would plead for her advice about balancing motherhood. She is a great example of striking that wonderful balance. I've always looked up to her as an example of what motherhood should look like. She pulls it off so well!
Emily Deans: Upon meeting Emily you immediately see that she is dashingly beautiful, immensely talented, charming, witty, etc. You immediately assume that you will probably not be welcomed into the social network of such a person because you feel inadequate for the part. However, you are completely shocked when you get to know Emily and she is just as beautiful on the inside. She is the type of person that goes out of her way to do kind things for you and makes you feel like a million bucks. She never says a negative word about anyone and, in fact, seems to love everyone. I have never seen the worlds of beauty, grace, intelligence, and kindness collide as seamlessly as they do in Emily Deans.
Eryn Gustafson: I love talking to Eryn because she has absolutely no guile, there is never any pretense, and you never have to wonder what she is thinking. She is honest while still being kind. Being around her makes me examine and improve my own integrity. She is a hilarious, and a loyal friend who is always ready to help out a friend in whatever way she can. Everything she does is beautiful (including the fabulous baby shower she threw for me). She is an amazing mother who balances family and daily demands in enviable fashion. I also want Vivian to grow up to be like her two adorable little girls!
Heather Ferrin: Heather is the one person in this world who I would not be the lease bit surprised if she were beamed right up to heaven tomorrow. She embodies everything pure and beautiful about life. She is the most loyal friend I have ever had. She is the kind of friend who never forgets a birthday (and always sends a thoughtful handmade gift), would drop everything if you needed to talk, never harbors ill-will no matter what anyone does to her, and gives selflessly of her soul for the benefit of others. She does all of this, not for any recognition or power, but just because that is who she is.
Jen Mosinski: Though I was the worst visiting teacher Jen has ever had, she has decided to forgive me and be my friend anyway, for which I am immensely grateful ;). Seriously, Jen is the glue that binds all of my friends here in CA together. Without her, all of our social lives would suffer. She is simultaneously the party planner, lesson teacher, book club leader, park days coordinator...and the list just goes on. Not only does she do all of this, but she is fabulous at each and every task. She is so multi-talented that I won't even begin to mention everything she does well. Above all, Jen is a friend and example to all and our lives are all much richer for having known her.
Jenna Crandall: Jenna is beautiful in every way. I have so much to learn from her in the realms of both fashion and friendship! I always enjoy chatting with her as she is so positive and so real at the same time. She is also beautiful at mothering (yes, I just used beautiful and mothering in the same sentence because Jenna pulls it off!!!)
Jenny Preece: Jenny is tons of fun to be around. When all of the old friends get together, it is never the same without her. She has so much energy for life and is always so positive and happy that you cannot help to be in a good mood when you are around her. She is also one of the funniest people I know and always provides the entertainment at social gatherings. She rolls with life with confidence and grace and I don't think I have ever seen her unhappy or genuinely upset with anyone. She is always there to lend an ear or help when it's needed.
Jill Dabo: There will always be a special place in my heart for Jill because of the way she instantly accepted me with kindness upon my showing up at her door with Rob the first time. She has been such a great friend and has done so much for us ever since. Jill is such an example of how to live life to its fullest. She and Mitch truly make the most of life. She is ALWAYS optimistic and seems to balance more than is humanly possible for us mere mortals.
Kate Williams: Kate is a beautiful person inside and out. She is a great friend and a great listener. Though Kate has been dealt a lot of difficulties lately, she never ceases to put her best foot forward and continue to do her very best long after most people would give up. She has so much faith and depth to share with those around her.
Lys-An Record: Lys-An is the most beloved person I know. To know her is to genuinely love her. She is so warm, kind, caring, witty, thoughtful, smart, the list goes on and on. I have no idea how she balances everything, but she does so with such success that I think I may ask for lessons. She is a true friend and one of my favorite people to talk to. I think she genuinely cares about EVERYONE!! I always look forward to visits with Lys-An and always come away a better person.
Meredith Prevot: O.K. so Meredith is technically a friend AND family member (I said no family members in this post), but she must be included anyway because there is so much good to say about her (and because she is a faithful reader of my blog). TALENTED and WARM are two words that come to mind when I think of Meredith. She is an amazing artist (you must all check out her art on her blog), incredibly intelligent, a fabulous musician....there is nothing she doesn't do! On top of that, she is SO KIND!! She is always always always kind and warm and makes you feel good about yourself. Rob and I always talk about how Meredith and Baptiste (her husband) are among our favorite family members to be around because they are just so much fun and so warm. We love you guys!!
Michelle Clark: Well, I think I said above that Heather was the only person about whom I would not be surprised if they were beamed up to heaven tomorrow, but there are actually TWO people I know who fit that description. The other is Michelle. She is the epitome of CHARITY. She is the kindest most graceful person I know. I will always consider her a true friend no matter how many miles we live away from each other. Without Michelle, Boston may have done me in. She was always a listening ear, a warm hug, and a loyal confidant. Also, she is the most patient person I know. Not to mention the best cook I know. Oh how I miss your pork posole Michelle!
Nathali Vincent: Nathali is a European beauty. On top of this, I fully expect her to win the award for the world's greatest therapist (she's an aspiring psychologist). She is so unconditionally kind and such a good listener that I cannot imagine havine gone through the trial that was Boston without her. She is so thoughtful about all that she does and makes life more beautiful with her wonderful and unique way of going about it. I still love remembering our times in Boston with the Vincents, my favorite of which commenced with Nathali filling my shoes with chocolate in true German fashion.
Shelli Kesler: Truly the smartest and most thoughtful person I know, Shelli is also one of the kindest-hearted people I know. Shelli is a champion for equality, justice, and everything good. In fact, it upsets Shelli when people are mistreated. She is the ultimate listener and confidant. She is a loyal friend and fabulous boss (even though she wasn't mine...it would have been cool!) Shelli would be an awesome President (yes, of the U.S.) VOTE FOR SHELLI!!!
Staci Sargeant: It's good to know that after all these years, Staci still "loves my guts"! Truly, Staci is a great and loyal friend. I haven't seen Staci in years and she's just as excited about my baby's pictures as I am and she's talking of making me bows! I don't deserve such a good friend, but am delighted to have one!
I know there are people I've left off (namely Katherine Zinger who I don't think reads my blog). This list obviously does not include my family who are, of course, some of my closest friends. I'm saving that for another post. Also, if you don't see your name here it is not because I don't love you and want to tell you how much your friendship means to me, but because you have never posted on my blog so I didn't think you'd be reading it.
Needless to say, there are so many great people in my life that I am so grateful for that it would take me a million years to write about all of them. I am truly blessed beyond measure in the friend department and thought each of you (at least the friends that read my blog) should know about it. Thanks so much for all you do!! I love you guys!
Monday, December 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Oh, Tear... What a great post... The only thing that would have made it better would be pictures of Vivi... The things you wrote about the people that I know as well as you hit right on the nose. I have your bows on order but don't plan to have them until after the Crazy Christmas gets over. My sister is making them and she has been so busy!!! I promise to mail them as soon as possible... Can't wait to see pictures of Vivian and Santa... Isn't Christmas so much better with kids??? LOVE YOUR GUTS!!! (I'm not really sure why I end everything with that, but thanks for pointing it out!) And by the way, I'm pretty sure you should convince your sister-in-law to start a blog... I have heard how beautiful Christina's babies are... She should defiantly start a blog!
Natalee,
What a great post. It must have taken you forever! Thanks for the kind words. You are my BFF also and I hope you never forget it. Although, we don't have tonz of recent memories, we have so many great ones to fall back on. One of my favorites has got to be the "car wash" or the time we were trying to scrap gum off the doors at the Yarrow. I'm excited for the day when you will move back to Utah so that we can start making more great memories ; )
I love reading your blog! You are so amazing with words and I love reading everything you write. I'm sitting here getting teary eyed thinking of all the friendships we will be leaving behind soon. Thanks for the kind words...it made my day! :)
What a sweet thing to do! Thank you so much for the kind and thoughtful words. I'm glad that you're in the ward and look forward to more fun times!
what a wonderful treat to read.
Wow. Natalee, that was really beautiful. You have such a gift for writing and are so talented, kind, and impressive...yet humble--as evidenced by your ironic blog title. I hope you and Vivi and Rob are having a good holiday break so far. I miss my friend Natalee. When are you back?
You are awesome! Merry Christmas!
Wow, I am late stumbling across this post and you totally made my day! What a kind and undeserved tribute. The way you describe your friends only reflects back on you and the incredible person you are. (1) Because you can say such wonderfully kind, thoughtful, articulate things, and (2) because so many amazing and cool girls are friends with you!!! Anyway, thanks!
Natalee,
I agree with Amber, that must have taken you hours to post because everyone's comments were so different and individualized (is that a word?). Anyway, I loved reading it --- you're a remarkable friend and person yourself. Can't wait to see you next week! I will still call you to plan the details... :)
Natalee,
I'm barely catching up on blogs. This was a great post. You are so kind! We love being around you and your adorable family too!
Post a Comment